The Rattle Poetry Prize is an entirely separate category from the others listed here, and because of the nature of the contest, some of the rules are different. Please read the following rules very carefully. Poems submitted to the contest cannot be considered for the theme issues—either they'll win the contest, be published in another open issue, or not at all.
1) The $25 entry fee is a one-year subscription to Rattle (or a one-year extension for subscribers) at our regular rate. New subscriptions will start with the next issue (currently issue #68, which releases June 1st). Current subscribers will receive a one-year extension. Due to shipping costs, international entries through Submittable will receive a 3/4-year subscription (three issues) instead of the full year.
2) One $15,000 Winner and ten $500 Finalists will be selected in an anonymous review by the editors of Rattle and printed in the Winter 2020 issue; one $5,000 Readers’ Choice Award will then be chosen from among the finalists by subscriber and entrant vote.
3) Open to writers, worldwide; poems must be written primarily in English (no translations except by the original author). Rattle's winter issue must be a potential first publication for all works submitted. No previously published works, or works accepted for publication elsewhere. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but we must be notified immediately by sending a note through Submittable's messaging system if any poems are accepted elsewhere.
4) Do not include any identifying information within the file that you submit—only include the poems (up to four). We will have all the contact information that you enter through Submittable's online form, and that's where we'll send the subscription.
5) Send up to four poems in a SINGLE file.There is no line-limit. Poems may be any length, any style, or any subject. Multiple entries by a single poet are accepted, however each group of four poems must be treated as a separate entry, and an additional $25 fee. Each additional entry will add an extra year to your subscription. Contest entries are non-refundable, so please be sure to upload your final versions of the poems. If you make a mistake while submitting and need to fix a your submission, DO NOT withdraw the entry. Use the built-in messaging system to send a replacement file as a message on the submission.
6) Winners will be announced on September 15, 2020, and the Readers’ Choice Award Winner will be announced February 15, 2021. Additional entries may also be offered standard publication.
In addition to entries through Submittable, we accept them through the post (domestic only). If you'd prefer to enter with a physical copy, see the Rattle Poetry Prize webpage for full guidelines.