The Rattle Chapbook Prize is an entirely separate category from the others listed at Submittable, and because of the nature of the contest, some of the rules are different. Please read the following rules very carefully.
1) The $20 entry fee is a one-year subscription to Rattle (or a one-year extension for subscribers) at our regular rate. New subscriptions will start with the next season's issue. Current subscribers will receive a one-year extension. Due to shipping costs, international entries through Submittable will receive a 0.75-year subscription (three issues) instead of the full year.
2) One winner, judge by the editors of Rattle in an anonymous review, will receive $2,000 and 500 author copies of their chapbook, which will also be distributed to all of Rattle's 7,000+ subscribers along with a late 2018 issue of the magazine.
3) Open to writers, worldwide; poems must be written in English (no translations). Individual poems may be previously published, but the manuscript as a whole must be unpublished as a collection. Do not include any poems that have been published in Rattle—if the chapbook includes poems that we have published, they may be added back before publication, but we cannot consider them during the blind review of this contest. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but we must be notified immediately by adding a note to your entry (under the "Activity" tab in Submittable) if any poems are accepted elsewhere.
4) Manuscripts may be 15 - 30 pages in length, not including front/back-matter, with any reasonable fonts or font sizes (12 pt, etc.). Do not include any identifying information within the manuscript itself, or within the file-name. If any of the poems have been previously published, include an acknowledgments page. A table of contents and page numbering are nice, but optional.
5) Submit your manuscript in a SINGLE file containing all 15 - 30 pages of poetry. (File types: doc, docx, txt, rtf, odt, pdf.) Multiple entries by a single poet are accepted, however each manuscript must be treated as a separate entry, each with an additional $20 fee. Each additional entry will add an extra year to your subscription. Contest entry fees are non-refundable and cannot be edited after submission, so please be sure to upload your final versions of the poems.
6) The winner will be announced on April 15, 2018. Depending on the number of entries received (and thus program funding), additional manuscripts may be offered publication and distribution under terms to be negotiated. Unpublished individual poems from the manuscripts may also be offered standard publication in Rattle.
In addition to entries through Submittable, we accept them through the post (domestic only). If you'd prefer to enter with a physical copy, see the Rattle Chapbook Prize webpage for full guidelines.